Snowflake Mitten Class
Three Tuesdays: February 21, 28 and March 7, 2017
6:00-9:00 pm at INUA Wool Shoppe
Cost is $60 (Cash Only) plus materials / taught by Cathie Harms
You know the basics of knitting, but are you getting tired of hats?
Do your hands get cold in the winter? Need a Christmas gift for someone special?
Learn to make Snowflake Mittens!
This class is for knitters who know how to cast on, join, knit and purl in the round, increase and decrease. You will learn how to knit with two colors and follow a color chart to create a beautiful and warm pair of mittens!
NOTE: Homework is required prior to Class 1!!!
- Knit & purl stitches
- Casting on and joining to knit in the round
- Knitting in the round (double pointed needles, two circs, magic loop, your choice)
- Increasing & decreasing
- Be able to read English and perform relatively fine motor skills with your hands.
Materials Needed (to be purchased at Inua):
Choose and purchase prior to Class 1:
- Two balls worsted weight solid colored (kettle dyed is ok for contrast, solid for background, not hand painted) yarn in two contrasting colors. I recommend wool or other animal fiber for warmth, but choose what you want to wear. Dream in Color Classy, Malabrigo, Cascade 220, or Lamb’s Pride, all work well. Superwash won’t felt, but tend to be softer.
- Needles size 4, 5 or 6 (if you don’t already own them) to meet gauge of 6 stitches per inch in stockinette (swatch time), and needles one size smaller for cuff
Homework to complete BEFORE Class 1: We will begin the first class with stranded work, so please purchase yarn and complete one or both ribbed cuffs before the first class. Here’s how: Swatch to determine what size needles give you a gauge of 6 stitches/inch. Using one size smaller needles, in the background color (not the snowflake color) cast on 44 stitches and join. Knit 2 purl 2 ribbing for 3”.
[You can make both cuffs prior to the first class meeting. Either divide your yarn into two balls or cut it with 8” tail after the first cuff is done. Either slip the first one onto a spare piece of yarn or start your second cuff on a second set of needles.]
Things to bring from home:
- Homework (one or both cuffs)
- Yarn (both colors)
- Needles: dp, two circs, or magic loop, size to get gauge of 6 stitches/inch in stockinette
- Magnetic chart reader or post it tape, bags, and other gadgets (optional)
- Reading glasses (if needed)
- A notebook (optional)
To register for a class, stop by the shop or call (907) 479-5830. ALL CLASSES MUST BE PAID IN FULL AT THE TIME OF REGISTRATION. CLASS FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE. Teachers will be available before class to help with purchase of yarn and other materials for the class and INUA staff are always happy to help.